One of the best things about having a missionary are the letters. I know missionaries can email now and Shaun does. He sends a weekly family and friends email which is usually about investigators and spiritual things and I always get my own personal email. But there is something about getting a letter in the mail every week (and yes Shaun has sent one every week since he left) that is just more personal. It's also where I get to read about the crazy stuff that happens or the crazy things Shaun is doing. His stories always make me laugh so I figured I'd give an update on some of the "interesting" parts of missionary life.
FAVORITE TRACTING STORIES
1. A man opened his door wearing nothing but a diaper and acted like it was perfectly normal while he stood there talking to Shaun and his companion.
2. A lady came out on her porch and yelled "If you are Jehovah's Witnesses then get off my property." Shaun said he kindly answered that they weren't. The lady stopped, paused for a minute and said "Well get off my property anyway." She stormed inside and slammed the door.
3. Shaun was sure he found Willie Nelson one day while tracting.
4. A man opened the door with a knife in his hand. He said his name was Job. He took a Book of Mormon and then promptly returned it when they came back.
5. A man invited Shaun and his companion in and told them he had been in prison for many years. After they were inside (with the door shut) he told them he had been in prison for murdering his best friend.
6. Just recently Shaun and his companion found an inactive member who wanted to take the discussions. During the first discussion this man (who is in his 60's and in a wheelchair) couldn't take his eyes off of Shaun's companion. A few minutes later the man reached over and touched Shaun's companions head and said "Look at that sexy red hair." At the end of the discussion the man offered to give the prayer. As they were leaving he grabbed Shaun's companions arm and said "Your arm is really beautiful." They found out the next day that this man has been accused of child molestation more than once. I'm guessing they haven't been back.
SHAUN'S FAVORITE PURCHASES
1. Chinese Stars (Shaun assured me he only throws them at boxes and I don't need to worry one bit)
2. Shaun has become obsessed with ties. He left with 20 and now has 68, most purchased for under a dollar at thrift stores. His goal is to come home with 100 ties.
3. A lamp: the base is shaped like an owl, another thrift store bargain. He was super excited about this but I have no idea why.
NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE
At a dinner appointment with a member family their five year old daughter brought a huge knife into the living room. She then announced calmly that she was going to stab and kill Shaun and his companion.
One of Shaun's companions told him he was too jovial for a missionary. I sent Shaun a bowling magazine (as a joke) and when his companion saw it he said, "Elder is this really appropriate reading material for a missionary?"
NEWLY ACQUIRED TALENTS
1. Shaun and his current companion play a game with their garbage. They stack it as high as possible, way above the top of the trash can. The first one to make something fall off the top has to take the garbage out. I think Shaun loses at this more than he wins but he's getting better.
2. Shaun and 3 other Elders were stuck inside one day because the snow was too bad to be out driving in. So they had a great idea. They made snow creations. The best by far was the snow toilet complete with a handle for flushing. Then they took turns sitting on their frozen masterpiece in their suits holding an Ensign. The pictures are hilarious but I won't post them because it's a visual you won't be able to get out of your mind.
3. Hanging on a coat rack
For some reason (unknown) Shaun has been asked several times recently if he sells produce.
CRAZIEST THING FOUND IN SHAUN'S APARTMENT TO DATE
A live bat
WEIRDEST THING SHAUN HAS DONE (that I know of)
Shaun painted his foot black to look like a sock. Why? I don't know.
Seriously though, Shaun is a great missionary. He likes to have fun but he also works very hard. He is a district leader and loves teaching the gospel. 7 months and 10 days to go!
SOME OF MY FAVORITE PICTURES
And just a short kidney update: They are still dumb. My GFR went up to 20 but now it's back down to 14 this week. It's a crazy battle I'm fighting and I'm not winning yet. Well.....maybe next time the numbers will be better.